DeafandHoHKids Community - A place for the deaf and hard of hearing kids and parents to communicate

Site Map    
Join the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community
About DeafandHoH Community Resources Games and Activities DeafandHoH Community Home Page Hearing Loss Blog Hearing Loss Forum

Camp Grizzly



Camp Grizzly 2014 will be located at Camp Lodestar in Wilseyville, California. Deaf or Hard of Hearing Campers between the ages 7-15 are welcome, as well as Deaf or Hard of Hearing Counselors-in-Training (CITs) ages 16-19. Hearing campers and teens with deaf parents or siblings are also welcome to Camp Grizzly upon availability. All of those youth who attend Camp Grizzly are given the opportunity to develop leadership skills, build their self-esteem and cultural identity, as well as peer interaction in an environment that is SAFE, FUN, and will build memories that will last a lifetime. CITs will develop mentoring and leadership skills along with job training while they are at Camp Grizzly.

Camp Grizzly is designed to serve independent Deaf and Hard of Hearing youth between the ages 7 and 18. All of the volunteer staff and counselors are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or fluent in American Sign Language and Deaf Culture. There is 24-hour communication access to all campers. On average, every year approximately 60% of campers are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The other 40% are hearing youth with Deaf parents and/or siblings.

Campers attend Sunday through Saturday August 3rd-9th, 2014. CITs will attend the camp Saturday through Saturday, the 2nd-9th of August, 2014. Parents are welcome to visit and tour the camp site during camper arrival on August 3rd, and a Parent show is given on the last day of camp before departure. Non-parents (such as sponsors, etc.) can make arrangements to visit the camp during limited times and days during the week.

There are many great activities that take place at Camp Grizzly! Some of the Recreational Activites include, but are not limited to swimming, archery, hiking, basketball, volleyball, fishing, Frisbee golf, and arts & crafts. There is a ropes course for all campers to enjoy, and Hands-on training is provided. Campers, CITs and staff compete in the Camp Grizzly Olympics, which utilizes the camper’s mastered skills. There is also many group sessions that take place at Camp Grizzly for Health and Safety, Sign Language Fun, Cultural Diversity, Team Building, as well as Special Guest Speakers/Performers for all to enjoy. Campers will partake in Cultural Pride Meetings, which are small group socials with other campers and adults of similar backgrounds in which deaf heritage, culture, and individual camper identity is discussed.


IMAGES FROM CAMP GRIZZLY’S FACEBOOK PAGE by Dawn Oveson
credit: Dawn Ovesen


There are many team-building activities at Camp Grizzly. Campers can take part in scavenger hunts, campfire skits, low and high rope courses, as well as other outdoor sports and activities to build relationships with their fellow campers. Finally, all campers and CITs are recognized for their accomplishments while at Camp Grizzly in an Awards Ceremony.

There is a small tuition fee for coming to Camp Grizzly. This fee covers the cost of lodging, food (campers are fed three meals a day), a Camp Grizzly t-shirt, a group photo and certificate, as well as all of the awesome activities that Camp Grizzly provides for its campers!

Early Bird fee (paid by April 1st, 2014): $425
Regular Rate (paid by June 1st, 2014): $450
Late Registration (after June 1st, depending on space availability): $500

Payment plans are accepted and must be paid in full by their deadline dates to receive the early bird and regular rate.

Tuition assistance is available for low-income families of deaf children. Families must apply separately for assistance with the TAP form.

Donations and sponsorships are always appreciated and welcome for low-income families, and is often requested by families.

Applications for Campers/CITs are available on Camp Grizzly’s website. You can also find applications for Staff there, as well.

For more information about Camp Grizzly, or to apply to participate this year, see their website: www.norcalcenter.org/campgrizzly

Or visit their Facebook group.



Open Chat Night for the deaf and hard of hearing community - Meet Wednesday Night at 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. EST
  DeafandHoH Social Network: Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Forum Copyright © 2014 DeafandHoHKids.com. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use  
Follow Community for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing on Facebook Follow Open Chat Night on Twitter Visit us on You Tube